Saturday, September 04, 2010

I was writing about sin and then suddenly I was writing about laundry.

I feel the potential deep my atrophied heart for terrifying violence and cruelty; for apathy and rebellion, for broken windows and hurled insults, lashing out of my self-built cage of bitterness and secret grudges, for a wretched gnawing on bones, crouched in a dark corner. I have no trouble believing that I have a sin nature, that I got this stain when I was being woven and not from another red sock in the laundry. I have a harder time believing that I have been bleached in blood, because I keep acting like a stained and soiled sock and not a renewed, white one. I can't see myself in the mirror through this pigment of deceit that gets in my eyes. I am made new. I am soaked, scrubbed, wrung out and given a place on the clothesline of saints, a great cloud of witnesses, blood-bleached and billowing in the breeze.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very strong voice in your writing and a good command of your medium. Well done! And it was nice to meet you on Saturday :)

Anonymous said...

this was super nice to hear you read it at camerata. lets do an audio recording and put it after the post. now go write more!

Anonymous said...

this was super nice to hear you read it at camerata. lets do an audio recording and put it after the post. now go write more!