Saturday, November 18, 2006

Sneezes.

A short thought before I turn in. It had better be short since I'm already lying down under the covers with the lights out, and my eyelids are getting dangerously heavy.

Lately, when I sneeze and people say "Bless you," I have responded with "You too". Mostly, they just look confused, which is fun in and of itself, but then I usually explain that I don't need an excuse to bless them. It's just a nice reminder to be aware of what we say. Words become cliche so easily. I find it especially true in worship, where the most beautifully articulated statements about such alluring and mysterious topics as divinity and eternity, sacrifice and humanity, lose all meaning after they've been sung a few times. Old news, but a catchy tune. Sometimes it takes a new perspective to make a song meaningful again. I heard the song "Blessed be the name of the Lord" sung shortly after attending someone's funeral once, and ever since, I can't sing "You give and take away" without choking up. The other one that gets me is in "Jesus, all for Jesus", where it says "All of my ambitions, hopes, and plans/ I surrender these into your hands" because I like my plans. I don't always think I can give them up so readily while I reside in this flesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I say how much I love reading your thoughts? I really do. You are an amazing kid! Keep it up squeeky!
Love,
Your Dad.